Day Camp Counselor
|Day Camp Counselor|
|McDonald Southeast Community YMCA|
Days & Hours:
|Monday - Friday (shift varies 6:30 am - 6:00 pm)|
Education & Experience
• Must be 18 years or older, have a High School Diploma or equivalent
• A minimum of 3 - 6 months experience working with children in a structured environment
• YMCA experience is a plus but not necessary
• Must pass a criminal history background check
• Must have/or receive CPR & First Aid Certifications
• Must have/or receive a clear TB test
• Must have/or receive YMCA Child Abuse Prevention Training
• Must be able to relate effectively to diverse groups from all social and economic segments of the community
• Have reliable transportation
• Must be able to be punctual, reliable, and able to adhere to a set work schedule
• Requires a tolerant, patient and steady person
• Requires constant attention and alertness of children’s needs
• Requires enthusiasm, patience and flexibility to the job everyday
• Requires ability to maintain confidentiality regarding participant, staff and Association records
• Must be able to clearly communicate with parents daily as needed about their children in a positive professional manner
• Requires the ability to communicate effectively to supervisor and other YMCA personnel
• Supervise groups of children and directly responsible for a group of 10 campers daily
• Plan and lead groups of children in daily activities
• Plan and participate in special events.
• Communicate effectively with parents on the status of children as a YMCA representative.
• Responsible for group’s safety and first aid. Never leave children alone.
• Know the Day Camp program schedule, routine and rules.
• Use a positive disciplinary approach. Never use physical force.
• Distribution of daily snacks.
• Implement the YMCA mission through the program planning activities.
• Responsible for the cleanliness and up keep of facility, property, supplies and equipment.
• Responsible for reporting any suspected child abuse and/or disclosures.
• Practice daily Caring, Honesty, Respect and Responsibility as a role model for the children