Day Camp Counselor
|Day Camp Counselor|
|YMCA Camp Carter|
Days & Hours:
|June 5, 2017|
Education & Experience
• Models the YMCA Core Values: Caring, Honesty, Respect, & Responsibility
• A commitment to working with a diverse staff and camper population
• Ability to relate well to others
• Strong desire to work with children in the outdoors
• 18 years of age or older (must have graduated High School)
• Enthusiastic and engaged personality.
• Basic level of personal physical fitness.
• Flexible approach to working hours, and responsibilities.
• Encourages growth in spirit, mind, & body and positive character development in all campers.
• Works with their assigned group of campers for the week, building a relationship, supervising them during work hours.
• Leads and instructs activities as necessary.
• Actively participates in all program areas as assigned.
• Ensures that campers are properly supervised at all times, including not using cell phone during work hours.
• Effectively communicates the camp rules, procedures, and schedule to campers.
• Ensures the safety, health and inclusion of all campers. This includes ensuring they are drinking enough water, and encourages eating at meal times.
• If scheduled to be working during check out or check in, supervise an activity area as needed. Projects a professional image to arriving parents. Avoid using cell phone, sitting in groups.
• Actively involved in traditional camp activities such as flag raising, awards ceremony, and all camp activities.
• Effectively communicates with parents in a professional manner when needed.
• Effectively communicates with leadership team, including completing incident reports.
• Attends Day Camp staff training.
• Lifeguard Certification course can be requested
• Must participate in CPR & First Aid classes.
• Developmental report and evaluation to occur during the summer.
• Maintains necessary records and completes requested forms and reports (e.g. incident report, maintenance report).
• Report all incidences/ problems to the leadership team.
• Covers breaks when needed.
• Acts as a role model for campers and counselors. Maintaining a professional relationship at all times.
• Enforces the rules of behavior, established goals, and program objectives set forth by the Day Camp Director.
• When working closing shifts helps to cleans Rec Hall at end of day.
• Completes other duties as assigned by the Leadership Team.
• Encourages a culture of respect for camp’s grounds, equipment, and each other. This includes activity equipment, picking up trash and so on.
• Adheres to dress code.
• Reports directly to the Day Camp Director & Assistant Day Camp Director.
• Willing to assist the LIT coordinator as needed.
• Agree to volunteer for one Day Camp overnight stay, and one Day Camp parent evening as needed.
• Helps camp build Annual Campaign scholarship donations.
This position is hourly and may work up to 40 hours per week from May 25th until August 18, 2017. Pay range will be between $7.65 and $8.25 per hour.
Please e-mail a cover letter, a resume, a list of five references and the lyrics to your favorite camp song to Jessica Wilmoth (firstname.lastname@example.org). Place “Day Camp Counselor” in the subject line.