Overnight Camp Counselor
|Overnight Camp Counselor|
|YMCA Camp Carter|
Days & Hours:
|June 5, 2017 or until filled|
Education & Experience
• Models the four core values of the YMCA: Honesty, Caring, Respect and Responsibility
• Ability to work well with others
• At least 18 years of age or older
• Strong desire to work with children in the outdoors
• A commitment to working with a diverse staff and camper population.
• Enthusiastic, engaged and professional personality.
• Basic level of personal physical fitness.
• Flexible approach to working hours, and responsibilities.
• Ability to follow instructions and schedules.
• Experience working with youth.
• Summer camp experience, a plus.
• Supervises campers at all times
• Stays in a cabin overnight, supervising between campers
• Leads and Instructs activities.
• Encourages growth in spirit, mind, and body as well as positive character development in all campers
• Actively participates and engages children in activities and nightly programs by leading songs and games throughout the day
• Ensures the safety, health, and inclusion of all campers
• Maintains a safe and clean cabin for the children
• Incorporates the YMCA Core Values into all programming
• Effectively communicates the camp rules, procedures, and schedule to campers
• Effectively communicates with parents in a professional manner when needed
• Encourages and teaches leadership and independence to all campers
• Acts as a positive role model to all campers
• Attends staff training
• Works closely with other Day and Overnight Camp Counselors
• Understands the importance of working as part of a team and reporting issues to your supervisor
• Listens attentively to co-workers and supervisors
• Remains flexible with
• Maintains necessary records and completes requested forms and reports (e.g. injury reports, challenge course permission forms, and sunscreen application forms)
• Reports all incidents / problems to Unit Director or Camp Leadership
• Ensures that Camp supervision ratios are met at all times
• Sets an example of cooperation, excellence, and commitment for all campers
• Maintains positive relationships with campers, parents, and staff
• Models, teaches, and maintains the YMCA Camp Carter Code of Conduct
• Effectively communicates with all staff, campers, and parents
• Maintain a clean cabin and helps with clean-up of other areas when needed
• Completes other duties assigned by the Overnight Camp Leadership
• Responsible for all camp materials, equipment, and supplies
• Reports directly to the Unit Director.
• Marketing. Help to cross promote other camp programs, building an environment of “one camp” inclusion for all.
• Communicates with Unit Directors and Camp Leadership to work together when it can benefit the overall program.
• Help YMCA Camp Carter achieve its Annual Campaign donation goal.
This position is required to stay in cabins overnight with campers.