At the YMCA we offer Swim Lessons in Stages!
Swim Starters: Accompanied by a parent, infants and toddlers learn to be comfortable in the water and develop swim readiness skills through fun and confidence-building experiences, while parents learn about water safety, drowning prevention, and the importance of supervision.
Swim Basics: Students learn personal water safety and achieve basic swimming competency by learning two benchmark skills
- Swim, float, swim- sequencing front glide, roll, back float, roll, front glide and exit
- Jump, push, turn, and grab
Swim Strokes: Having mastered the fundamentals, students learn additional water safety skills, and build stroke technique, developing skills that prevent chronic disease, increase social-emotional and cognitive well-being, and foster a lifetime of physical activity.
We also offer Private and Semi-Private Lessons. For more information about session dates, times and prices please see our Swim Lesson Flyer below.
If you have any questions in regards to the Hood County YMCA swim lesson program please contact our Aquatics Coordinator, Kaylen Evens, at Kaylen.Evens@ymcafw.org or 817.645.9622
Register Online or In-House – The Joshua YMCA is a great place to learn to swim or brush up on your current abilities. We offer sessions at 9am, 9:45am and 10:30am
Private Swim Lessons
Must Register In-House at the Joshua YMCA!! Looking for individual guidance on proper stroke, breathing, and overall skills? Try private lessons, where these one hour sessions give you a week’s worth of tailor-made lessons.
Register Online or In-House – These 9:40am sessions are great to help your little one get comfortable in the water in a fun and safe environment. Often referred to as “Mommy and Me” classes, you will have the opportunity to be in the water with your child as your instructor is there to help teach you and your child water safety and fun.
Register Online or In-House – These 4 week Saturday sessions are a great way to learn to swim with a busy schedule.
Sign up for Summer Swim Lessons and receive 100% off your membership joining fee, which could save you as much as $40 per session per child.
For questions regarding Aquatics please contact our Aquatics Coordinator, Kaylen Evens, at Kaylen.Evens@ymcafw.org or Melissa Kelley at MKelley@ymcafw.org
- Children ages 7 and under must be accompanied by an adult at all times in the pool area
- Children ages 8-13 must have an adult in the pool area or within the Joshua YMCA facility at all times
- Children ages 14 and older must be checked in at the Front Desk by an adult, but may swim alone
**All Children must complete the swim test in order to be in the deep end and/or use the slide. Swim testing occurs on the hour, every hour for 15 minutes. Test will be administered in the slide lane.
- Running is not allowed on the pool deck.
- No diving at any time.
- Lifeguard has full authority in enforcing rules.
- Patrons must wear appropriate swim attire when entering the pool.
- No glass or gum is allowed on the pool deck (plastic containers only).
- Only coast guard approved flotation devices are permitted.
- Showers are required before entering the water.
- Smoking, alcoholic beverages, and/or chewing tobacco is not allowed.
- Children who are not toilet trained are required to wear swim diapers.
- Each member is allowed to bring one guest there is a $5.00 guest fee. All guests 17 years or younger must be accompanied by a legal guardian (18 years old or older) to sign the YMCA release form. Photo ID is required.
- Food is not allowed on the pool deck.
- Waiting lines will begin when capacity of the pool is met. Those who leave the pool will have to wait in the line to re-enter.
Check out our printable 2018 Pool Schedule: 2018 Pool Calendar
To learn more about or to register for classes to become a certified lifeguard email Melissa Kelley at email@example.com