Building strong kids is one of the most important roles the YMCA plays. Youth in YMCA programs are taught the core values of honesty, respect, responsibility and caring. Programs are designed to help youth establish healthy, productive behavior that will enable them to succeed and serve. YMCAs make kids strong in spirit, mind and body through established developmental assets.
The Hood County YMCA will offer physical education for homeschool children and families beginning in the Fall of 2018. We will hold three classes: Early Childhood (ages 4-6), School Age (7-10) and Middle School (11-14). Classes will be held 2 days a week for one hour on Mondays/Wednesdays or Tuesdays/Thursdays. Children will learn age appropriate basics in a variety of sports and physical activities, including soccer, basketball, yoga, volleyball, swimming, and more. All classes taught by knowledgeable and experienced YMCA staff.
- LOCATION: HOOD COUNTY YMCA, 1475 James Rd., Granbury, TX 76049
- PRICE: Monthly fees: $50 for first child, $35 for second, $15 for additional children. (All children must be active YMCA members and reside in
- CONTACT: 817-573-7159
Middle School After School
The Hood County YMCA will offer after-school care for AMS middle schoolers under 13 years of age beginning on August 15, 2018. Kids in this program will have the opportunity to utilize different areas and activities in our facility in a safe, supervised environment. These activities include access to the gymnasium, youth fitness orientations and education, swimming, nutrition education, sports enrichment activities, and more. We will also allow time for homework help and teach study skills. A healthy afternoon snack will be provided daily .
- Time: 4:15-6:00 pm
- Cost: $30 weekly fee for YMCA members, $60 non-members
- AMS students escorted across the street on foot by YMCA staff
- Printable Parent Handbook
Youth & Teen Orientation
Youth Orientation is a free required class for members ages 8 – 15 who are interested in utilizing the equipment in the facility. Participants will meet with a Wellness Coach to learn the fundamentals of cardio training, machine introduction, and gym etiquette. Youth that successfully complete Orientation Program will earn permission to utilize the Fitness Floor.
- Students must attend an orientation in order to receive a membership card.
- Students must participate 100%
- All students must wear athletic shoes at all times. No sandals or crocs allowed.
- After completing all sessions, students must follow the same rules and procedures when using the fitness equipment on their own.
- Students will be instructed to lift only safe amount of weight. No competitive lifting!! To prevent injuries, parents should encourage this even after orientation is completed.
- No running or horseplay in or around fitness center.
- Anyone caught outside of these guidelines will be verbally warned on the first offense, the second offense will be cause for suspension of fitness center privileges for up to one year.
- YMCA lanyards and membership cards must be visibly displayed at all times upon completion of the orientation.
|Wellness Floor||Age||Parent/Guardian Required in Facility||Orientation||Signed By Parent|
|Select Cardio Machines||8 to 11||Yes||Youth Orientation Required||Yes|
|Selectorized Machines & All Cardio||12||Yes||Youth Orientation Required||Yes|
|Selectorized Machines & All Cardio||13+||No||Teen Orientation Required||Yes|
|Free Weights||14 & 15||No||Teen Orientation Required||Yes|
Kids Group Exercise
Kids can join in on all the great benefits of group exercise at the YMCA! Kids Group Exercise is for those kids ages 6-12 years old who want to participate in classes made just for them! At the age of 8, our youth have the privilege to attend most adult group ex classes with the exception of BODYPUMP and CXWORX, but sometimes it’s nice to just be a kid!
Printable Kids Group Ex Schedule: Kids Group Ex Schedule
The YMCA Adventure Guides program is designed to assist the parent and the school-age child on a journey of discovery. While activities with the whole family are important, there is tremendous value in supporting and strengthening a one-on-one parent-child bond. The Adventure Guide Program can strengthen that bond through typical activities such as games, crafts, songs, stories, skits and outdoor pursuits, such as camping, hiking and swimming. Ready to learn more and join? Register Online for this and other YMCA programs. The Adventure Guides program is not offered in every YMCA location.
If you want to learn more about what we offer in regards to child care and after school programs, then click here.