As a leading nonprofit for strengthening community through youth development, healthy living and social responsibility, the Y believes that all people should be able to live life to its fullest, healthiest potential.
In the YMCA’s Diabetes Prevention Program a trained lifestyle coach will introduce topics in a supportive, small group environment and encourage participants as they explore how healthy eating, physical activity and behavior changes can benefit their health.
What is prediabetes?
Prediabetes occurs when blood sugar levels are higher than normal but not high enough for a type 2 diabetes diagnosis. Risk for developing type 2 diabetes may be reduced or eliminated by weight loss, healthier eating and increased physical activity. More than 86 million Americans have prediabetes and are at risk of developing diabetes.
Prediabetes may be reversible; diabetes has no cure.
Am I at risk?
Find out whether you are at risk for diabetes by taking the quick quiz. If you are at risk, the good news is that you can manage your risk for type 2 diabetes.
Small steps make a big difference and can help you live a longer, healthier life. If you are at high risk, your first step is to see your doctor to see if additional testing is needed.
- The 12-month group-based program consists of 16 one-hour, weekly sessions, followed by monthly sessions led by a trained lifestyle coach who facilitates a small group of people with similar goals.
- Discuss topics such as healthy eating, increasing physical activity, reducing stress, problem solving, and much more.
- Stay motivated to maintain progress towards program goals with monthly maintenance sessions.
You do not have to be a member of the YMCA to participate in this program – participants will get a 1 year membership to the Fort Worth YMCA.
- Lose 7% of your body weight
- Gradually increase your physical activity to 150 minutes per week.
To see if you qualify and get more information about the program, please fill out the assessment below or email [email protected]: