Cancer is a life-changing disease that takes a tremendous physical and emotional toll on those affected. The Y and LIVESTRONG® have joined together to create LIVESTRONG at the YMCA, a research-based physical activity and well-being program for cancer survivors and those currently undergoing treatment. The program focuses on you – the whole person – not the disease.
This free, 12-week program meets twice a week for 90 minutes, using traditional exercise methods to ease you back into fitness and help you maintain a healthy spirit, mind and body.
Participants also learn about wellness, stress reduction and how to continue healthy habits after the program has ended. We encourage a warm spirit of community and provide a place for you to build friendships with others affected by cancer and an opportunity to share stories and inspiration.
- Improve energy levels and self-esteem
- Build muscular strength and endurance
- Improve flexibility
- Improve circulation and functional ability to complete everyday tasks
- Reduce the severity of therapy side effects
- Restore balance
- Improve body image
- Reduce stress levels
- Build supportive relationships in a comfortable and safe environment